The City of Lincoln, Alabama is seeking an individual with demonstrated experience in municipal court operations to join our team at City Hall as a Court Clerk/Chief Magistrate. The Court Clerk/Chief Magistrate is responsible for leading, coordinating, and performing complex specialized clerical duties in support of the municipal court including the initiation, processing, and maintenance of legal documents, correspondence, and statistics and providing information and assistance to the public. General duties include, but are not limited to: prepare, organize, and record court schedules and documents; receive and record citation payments; take pleas before court and set up for trials; set up payment plans; issue default letters; work on warrants; prepare reports for attorneys. Incumbent works under the general supervision of the Mayor with guidance from the Municipal Judge and Mayor.
FUNCTIONS/DUTIES (include, but not limited to):
- Lead, plan, train for, and review the work of staff responsible for municipal court activities and operations including providing the processing of court documents involving warrants, citations, and other legal documents.
- Attend municipal court as required.
- Plan, direct, and participate in the processing of court documents.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computers.
- Train assigned employees in their areas of work in document processing methods, techniques, and in assembling and using equipment.
- Verify the work of assigned employees for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
- Lead and participate in providing assistance to the public in person and by phone including retrieving information and files, and providing general information regarding scheduling of court dates, defensive driving, warrants, and granting extensions; assist the public in filing assault and theft affidavits; assist the public in problem solving and research activities.
- Work closely with the police department, judges, and other court officials to ensure efficient and timely operation of municipal court.
- Participate in compiling, typing, recording and filing a wide variety of documents, court records, reports and materials including citations, warrants, summons, letters, reports, and complaints.
- Operate a computer terminal and printer to type, enter, modify, and retrieve a wide variety of court documents, reports, records, letters, and other material.
- Coordinate the functions of the warrant office including warrant collection and compilation of data; perform warrant audit as required.
- Compile information from a variety of sources and prepare complete statistical reports; organize and compile warrant and citation reports; input information into computer for retrieval by department personnel.
- Sort, file, copy, and distribute court documents and reports to appropriate personnel; process paperwork required by law for cases appealed to a higher court.
- Process court payments on citations; prepare receipts on payment; supervise collection of unpaid fines and court costs.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned and required.
- Prefer a degree from an accredited two-year institution with significant course work in the areas of legal, accounting and/or records management.
- Must hold an Alabama Magistrate Certification.
- Must have three (3) years of experience in general administrative work.
- Must possess above average computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Windows® and other relevant computer systems.
- Must have knowledge of related office equipment.
- Must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license with a driving record suitable for insurability.
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours and overtime as required.
- Must be willing to travel overnight to attend continuing education courses and workshops.
- Must be physically able to perform the essential functions of the position.
HOURS OF WORK: This position is considered full-time (40 hours a week), Monday through Friday. Overtime is required of this role.
SALARY: The City of Lincoln offers a competitive salary and a positive work environment. The salary for this position starts at $22.74/hour with the starting salary dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
APPLICATIONS: Individuals interested in this position are invited to submit an employment application and/or detailed cover letter and resume to the email address below. If applying by e mail, please ensure the position title is included in subject line. We appreciate and consider all applications; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Attention: Laura S. Carmack, City Clerk
P.O. Box 172 | 150 Magnolia Street | Lincoln, Alabama | 35096
P: 205.763.7777 | E: email@example.com | W: www.lincolnalabama.com