The City of Lincoln, Alabama is seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to join our Fire Department team as a Firefighter/Paramedic. The position of Firefighter/Paramedic involves the control and extinguishing of fires and engages in search and rescue for the preservation of life and property; including responding to all medical emergencies and administering of life saving measures as defined by the Alabama Department of Public Health and emergency medical protocol for a certified Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic. Incumbent works under the general supervision of the assigned Captain and/or Lieutenant.
FUNCTIONS/DUTIES (include, but not limited to):
- Respond to fire, emergency medical and trauma, hazardous material, and other emergency calls as assigned.
- Use departmental equipment as appropriate to extinguish fires of all types in buildings, grass, terrain, automobiles, or other sites.
- Respond to emergency medical care calls as assigned for assistance to sick or injured people and administer treatment according to the state guidelines, including the use of intravenous therapy, endotracheal intubation, and pharmacological therapy when indicated at the appropriate level.
- Provide Industrial Fire Protection when temporarily assigned to industrial plant fire stations.
- Drive and operate all department vehicles as qualified and appropriate.
- Perform daily tests and upkeep tasks to keep all equipment and apparatus in state of readiness for emergencies.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance, such as checking fluids, hoses, and air pressure, and making corrections.
- Participate in pre-planning fire tactics and emergency medical procedures to improve service and rescue.
- Participate in training classes to maintain and upgrade knowledge, skills, and certification.
- Check hydrants and test available water flows on a regular schedule and as needed; maintain records, including location and types of hydrants; and painting hydrants.
- Perform work in accordance with all safety policies and procedures, including the protocols for infection control.
- Wash equipment and perform station maintenance, such as washing windows, washing, and waxing floors, cleaning kitchen utensils and equipment, and doing laundry.
- Perform grounds maintenance, such as cutting grass, collecting debris, trimming, and watering.
- Make public presentations; conduct tours of the station; or assist in presenting training classes for other staff, volunteers, community groups, or fire personnel from other districts.
- Use computers to enter data and generate reports; and maintain necessary manual and computer records.
- Perform portions of the work of higher classified positions occasionally, as assigned.
- All other related job duties as assigned.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited high school or hold a certificate of high school equivalency (GED).
- Must hold a current Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate or current Firefighter I/II certification from the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission and an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic certification from the Alabama Department of Public Health.
- Must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license and a driving record suitable for insurability.
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours as required.
- Must be willing to travel overnight to attend continuing education courses and workshops.
- Must possess adequate computer skills with knowledge of common office software and willingness to learn special software.
- Must have or be willing to obtain the following core certifications within two (2) years: Rope Rescue I, Haz-Mat Technician, Apparatus Operator – Pumper, Apparatus Operator – Mobile Water, Confined Space Rescue.
HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work will vary. The Lincoln Fire Department follows a 24/48 hour schedule.
SALARY: The base salary range for this position is $49,248 to $60,193 annually. Salary is calculated using a 14-day pay cycle with all hours over 106 considered overtime.
APPLICATIONS: Individuals interested in this position are invited to submit an employment application and/or detailed cover letter and resume to the email address below. If applying by e-mail, please ensure job position is included in subject line. We appreciate and consider all applications; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Attention: Chief Josh Vincent
P.O. Box 172 | 150 Magnolia Street | Lincoln, Alabama | 35096 | P: 205.763.7777
E: email@example.com | W: www.lincolnalabama.com