The City of Lincoln, Alabama is seeking a highly skilled and motivated administrator to join our Building department team as a Permit Clerk. Reporting to the Building Official, the Permit Clerk will serve as the first point of contact for the Building Department. This position is responsible for the issuance of permits for new construction projects, additions, repairs, and alterations, answering process and procedure questions for obtaining permits and inspections, processing code enforcement complaints, creating and maintaining files for permits and abatement cases and preparing reports, letters, memos and correspondence, etc.
FUNCTIONS/DUTIES (include, but not limited to):
- Assist homeowners, business owners, developers, contractors, architects, and engineers in the office, over the phone and/or via e-mail with code requirements, plan review process, permit procedures, code enforcement complaints and other issues as they may arise.
- Review permit applications for accuracy and completeness.
- Process accepted applications in accordance with department procedure.
- Prepare permits in a timely manner.
- Schedule inspections as requested by permit holders either in person, by phone or via e-mail.
- Monitor business licenses and ensure all contractors obtain required licenses.
- Tracks inspection phases and results and ensures all required inspections are performed.
- Scan various permit documents, inspection reports and nuisance case documents.
- Answer questions within the realm of knowledge of the position, direct calls to appropriate persons within the department or other administrative staff.
- Receive nuisance complaints, prepare abatement letters, and maintain case files.
- Tracks nuisance abatement progress and ensures each step is completed as required.
- Create and maintain records for City boards and committees such as the Planning and Zoning Committee, Board of Zoning Adjustments, etc. as required.
- Attend meetings and work sessions for City boards and committees such as the Planning and Zoning Committee, Board of Zoning Adjustments, etc. as required.
- Prepare minutes, agendas, public hearing notices, legal notices and mailings for City boards and committees such as the Planning and Zoning Committee, Board of Zoning Adjustments, etc. as required.
- Receive and process rezoning, subdivision, variance, and other types of applications for City boards.
- Prepare staff reports to Planning Commission and City Council.
- Maintain certifications and schedule training for all commission members.
- Type letters, invoices, receipts, reports, and other documents as required.
- Provide general and detailed information for developers, contractors and citizens regarding the development review and permitting process.
- Reviews simple construction plans for code compliance.
- Perform all other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited high school or hold a certificate of high school equivalency (GED).
- Two (2) years general administrative experience, preferably construction related.
- Permit Technician Certification from the International Code Council is highly preferred.
- Must possess adequate computer skills with knowledge of common office software and willingness to learn special software for building permits and business licensing.
- Must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license and a driving record suitable for insurability.
HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work may vary, but are typically 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evenings and weekends may be required of this role.
SALARY: The wage range for this position is $14.08/hour to $19.50/hour and the starting wage will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
APPLICATIONS: Individuals interested in this position are invited to submit an employment application and/or detailed cover letter and resume to the email address below. If applying by e-mail, please ensure job position is included in subject line. We appreciate and consider all applications; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.