The City of Lincoln, Alabama is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Water Operator - Grade lC/1D to perform manual work related to the daily operations of the water and sewer division of the City's Utilities department to ensure regulatory compliance for all local, state, and federal laws. This may include installation, repair and maintenance of water meters, lines, and equipment
FUNCTIONS/DUTIES (include, but not limited to):
- Installs, maintains, and repairs of water distribution and wastewater collection utility systems, utility lines, and lift stations.
- Locates and repairs leaks at meters, service lines, water mains, valves, and hydrants, etc.
- Locates and marks water lines for the general public so lines are not damaged during construction, digging, or excavation work.
- Maintains water tank areas and the water lift station areas including cleaning and repairing lines, screens, and fences; mows and performs general landscape duties.
- Reads and records pump running times; retrieves pump run time information from computer.
- Cuts, breaks up, and removes asphalt/concrete; paints lift stations; builds and maintains fencing around lift stations; mows and maintains right-of-way areas; lifts/moves equipment and heavy materials.
- Operates light equipment such as work truck, excavator, and vac trailer.
- Transports, hauls, loads, and unloads various equipment and materials used in projects or at work sites.
- Performs general maintenance tasks necessary to keep machinery, equipment, and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking fluid levels, replacing fluids, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, and cleaning shop and work areas; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; notifies supervisor of needed repairs.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, logs, call-out sheets, station cleaning records, camera video logs, maintenance records, or other documents.
- Performs customer service tasks; provides information and responds to requests for service.
- Prepares and maintains records on water activities in compliance with city, state, and federal record keeping requirements; uses a work order system as required.
- Maintains inventory and purchases needed supplies.
- Communicates with supervisor, co-workers, other departments, property owners, contractors, utility companies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Responds to emergency situations such as severe weather events.
- Prepare departmental and/or regulatory reports, tests and compliance checks as required.
- Adhere to regulatory procedures and tasks associated with ADEM and EPA rules, regulations, and documentation filings.
- Follows established safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; reports any incidents, accidents, problems, or unusual situations.
- Perform routine labor and work non-standard hours as required.
- Perform all other job-related duties or special projects as assigned.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited high school or hold a certificate of high school equivalency (GED).
- Must hold a valid certification by the State of Alabama as a Grade lC Wastewater Operator and/or Grade 1D Water Operator.
- Prior related experience or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job a plus.
- Must possess a valid Alabama driver's license and a driving record suitable for insurability.
- Must be willing to travel overnight to attend relevant courses, conferences, and workshops.
- Must be physically able to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours which may include evenings and weekends.
HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work may vary but are typically 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Earlier hours may be required seasonally. Evenings and weekends will be required of this role. On-call assignment will be required of this role.
SALARY: The wage range for this position is $19.49/hour to $23.92/hour and the starting wage will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
APPLICATIONS: Individuals interested in this position are invited to submit an employment application and/or detailed cover letter and resume to the email address below. If applying by e-mail, please ensure job position is included in subject line. We appreciate and consider all applications; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Attention: Matt Schultz, Water and Sewer Operations Manager- Chief Operator
P.O. Box 172 | 150 Magnolia Street | Lincoln, Alabama | 35096
P: 205.763.7777 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.lincolnalabama.com